Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Day 3 - ESRI Conference, US

Today, I started my day by using a treadmill to keep myself in good health. I met a US African-American gentleman by the name Desroy Gordon who's from Florida. He works for the engineering division of the Florida Government. He has an IT background but was introduced to GIS. We had a talk about Africa - he wants to visit Ghana and Zimbabwe (and probably meet Mugabe) - he is not keen to visit South Africa because he says it is developed just like any other country.

I attended my first session on GIS and Learners Programmes where I learnt about TheDigitalBus of Hawaii. This is what I would like to see in South Africa - a mobile class on a bus with laptops, GPS and other Science tools. TheDigitalBus is used for specific projects that require the students to go out to the field to capture information and then return to the bus to do analysis and mapping, and the present the findings.

Soon I will be attending some sessions of GIS and Business Intelligence, and other interesting sessions. You just can't have enough of the exhibitions. I was fascinated by a GIS/video/streaming solution that is also used by GoogleMap Streetmaps.

I did not visit the Waterfront as planned, but I took a walk in San Diego Downtown until I reached the FreeWay to Los Angeles. On my way there I met a lot of people walking very fast. I decided to follow them and see where they are heading. To my surprise, there were heading to the Baseball stadium where some big teams were playing. I am not a Baseball lover and I was not prepared to spend money and time to watch the match. However I took some videos and also interviewed one lady about the Baseball game.

Different timezones...
I haven't got used to the different timezones of San Diego and Cape Town. I wanted to remind my wife to take some thing to her workplace, so I phoned her at 08h30 (San Diego time) in order to reach her at 05h30 (Cape Town time) just before she goes to work.

No comments: